Sunday 17 May 2015

The Journey Awakens The Soul Canvas
Prima Build-a-Page Sketch






Hello Everyone!!!  Blowing kisses to you all!!
I hope you've had an AWESOME SUNDAY!!!
Right now I am rushing off to watch "Pitch Perfect 2" with my 2 daughters!
We are dying to see what Fat Amy has been up to since we left off LOL!!


Just popping in to share my take on the Prima Build-a-Page sketch contest this month,
using the sketch above {believe it or not LOL}.  I really did start with it in mind!!


I actually created this on an old metal/tin lid from a chocolate box. 
 I use the box to store card blanks in in one of my drawers & quite frankly
 the lid was annoying, so rather than throw it out I thought I would
 re-purpose it & save some money instead of buying another canvas :)


To create a grip on the smooth & shiny metal surface I began by priming with
 gesso & a thick brush then once that had dried I applied modelling paste then 
stuck dry-wall tape into that whilst it was still wet.  I dried that of before
 applying Ranger crackle paints, dried those off then used my
 Prima Color Bloom Sprays for the drips, etc.
LOVE THE VIBRANT COLOURS!!


Because my background is so textural, with so many subtle colour variations,
I embellished simply, using Prima flowers, tags & wooden butterflies
then added some metals to the bottom for the title & to balance out
the top are of my "canvas".


Instead of the torn strips at the top I added the darker green spray for that area instead
& instead of all the stencilled words in the background I concentrated on background
detail with many variations in place of the words.  I flipped my photo to the other
side of where it appears in the sketch, because I always like to have my photo
subjects facing into the composition rather than out of it, it just looks better.


This was actually a really straight-forward project to create and took me a couple
of hours which were very relaxing & enjoyable.  I am preferring a less complex
look these days & easy-to-create little projects.  I hope you like it!!




11 comments:

Kathy Bradley said...

Helen,
Absolutely gorgeous - love the layout and colors, as well as the pretty embellies. The photo of your daughter is gorgeous - and what a beautiful lady next to her!

Unknown said...

Love this canvas! So much texture!

Lizzy Hill said...

What a wonderful idea for a tin lid! not that you'd even know what it started life as! And there is quite a family resmemblance there, eh? Great photo. gorgeous texture:):)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sooooooooo gorgeous! LOVING the colors, the butterflies and the flowers!!!!

Unknown said...

NOPE - don't like it at all. LOVE IT!!!! j

mamablitger said...

Helen your lid turned out fabulous..vgosh what an amazing result. LOVE. Your idea of re-purpose items.. Lol.
Thank you so much for sharing this.nit is such a lovely inspiration.
Hugs from Monica... Spain

Adriana B said...

lovely project you have created with an old chocolate box, looks amazing with all the colour and great momento of your mum :)

Mitralee said...

lovely repurpose on the lid! I love the texture you created with that tape! Really digging those drips! Super cool! Hugs!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Gorgeous colour and texture my friend...fabulous photo of your daughter and your MIL.

Denise van Deventer said...

This is so beautiful and bright...the colours are amazing! The texture is so nice too. Amazing how one can alter a metal lid and it looks so different! Love the photo too! ;-)

Eila Sandberg said...

Oh WOW! pop crackle and fizz! pure genious to use the lid! xoxo