Friday 27 January 2012

Studio Sorting & Storage {Time to purge & tidy!}





I'm sure that most of you are like me & think 
more about the state of your studio/scrap room/scrap 
space more now than at any other time of year. 

I have been following Julie Fei-Fan's blog series
with great interest & enthusiasm & suggest you do
the same if you want a push in the right direction!

You can find Lesson One here, Lesson Two here, and
Lesson Three,  then follow on from there.
I subscribe via e mail as I find this the easiest
way to ensure that I don't miss any posts (I'm in my
e mail at least 5 days a week for at least an hour -
it's a chore but I do it...). 

I can't stop everything right now & turn my studio
upside down (you know how it always has to look 
worse before it can look better) but I am doing some
little things every day to improve & refine my space.

I was interested to see that Julie's studio looks quite
similar to mine in the way that it is laid out
(only hers is bigger). 

I felt so much better reading the words "working studio" 
as that is what I have, despite my desire for it to be cute
& pretty. I've tried including all sorts of sweet containers,
etc, but it just doesn't work UNLESS you have excess
space or only a few supplies.  If you have a lot like me,
you need to make THE BEST POSSIBLE USE OF 
SPACE & that can't be done using cutesy stuff.  

I realised that about a year ago so now my studio
is very functional but I am not happy with the lack
of cute factor - so I am working on that this year.
I am going to give it a lick of paint soon (apple green!)
and order some uniform (as in all the same) pull-out
chipboard baskets that I am getting custom-made as
at the moment there is a mish-mash of containers/
baskets in there based on whatever fits...

***TIP - If you ever decide to get some "pigeon-hole"
shelves made (as I did) {no IKEA here sadly...) do
NOT make the same mistake I did - make the shelves to
fit the baskets rather than trying to find the baskets to fit
the shelves - 18 months later I've given up and am biting
the bullet and getting them made to measure...***

I'm sure I could find the right size online but I need 24
and the shipping on those babies would be horrendous...

They are going to take forever to make but I'll definitely
show you the before and after of my scrappy shelf makeover.


***DON'T FORGET TO SCROLL BACK A FEW POSTS
FOR MY JANUARY GIVEAWAY ENDING NEXT WEEK!***




10 comments:

Lea said...

Working studio... I like that. Makes it sound like it's okay if it's a bet messy because it's getting used!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You go girl!! This is going to be awesome! :):):):):):):):):):):)

THERESA said...

If one can just know some of the things beforehand, right, lol, could save us a lot of stress afterwards, also learned some the hard way, hope you have fun and cannot wait to see the end result!!
lotsa luv

Linda Eggleton said...

I like "working studio" ....means it's well worked (and probably messy...like mine! lol)

Looking forward to seeing the end result :)

Rene Sharp said...

Would love to see some "before" and "after" photos! Have a lovely weekend :)

Evgenia Petzer said...

thank you for the tips, i am also busy now with my organization (slowlyyyyy)

Bernadine said...

Thanks for the heads up on organisation. I am having that problem at the moment. I have to use my work space as my scrapping space as well.

I have just purged over 100 sheets of paper.

I am definatly shop like you do once I have finished all my paper.

I think though a lot of my purchases were comfort purchases as apposed to need purchases.

sandi said...

I'd love to see your "after" pics!

Lynette Jacobs said...

I am still totally in love with the space my DH designed and made for me more than a year ago. Everything is within arms length and everything is organised by kit and sort.

yyam said...

Well, the key is to not hoard your supplies. Julie looks like she has a lot but she purges every few months and gives it away to people willing to come pick them up...wish I lived in NYC...lol