Friday 25 March 2011

Beautiful Memories {Colour Combos Galore 185/Jenni Bowlin Sunday Star Sketch}


***plus tips & tricks on how to create your own personalised backing paper***

I forgot to mention that I won a voucher over at the new JBS Forum during their crop a couple of weeks ago with this layout!  So I'm thinking, seeing as I'll be using the voucher & paying the postage I may as well order all I need (cough, cough...) & get it all shipped together...so I'm on a little mission to wipe out the small amount of JBS stash that is still lurking on my paper trays...hence my choice of paper here!


I took a couple of photos along the way to show you some tricks.  To save paper I often cut out a window of cardstock if there is going to be another piece over it.  It also helps keep my pages "not too fat" which is a good thing for your albums too.
I would love to work with tape runners but they are not available here, however a great double-sided tape is, so I figure I can save on ordering those online.  I used to be foxed by circles though & cut lots of short pieces, but peeling the back off was a right pain, then I tried just turning the tape & kinda pleating as I went, and it works just fine!  Saves tons of time because you can just pull the tape off in one easy movement!

When I'm creating I get the base, or FOUNDATION of my page prepared, before I start adding the photos & other surface layers, etc.  
Above I started with a white cardstock base, layered the red print over. 
Added a big text rub-on along the top (I knew I wanted this so the rub-on went on first - to determine the position of the printed paper).  
Then I added the punched butterfly strip just under the rub-ons along the top, then the scalloped circle piece (cut some off the bottom once I had marked how much needed removing) then placed some yellow vellum underneath it.  
On top of the vellum I layered a printed scallop that I had hand-cut, inked  & mounted onto some cardstock.  On top of this I added a scallop sticker strip & then a straight sticker strip.  

So before even starting, my base page consists of 9 separate pieces/layers.  That is how I get the interest going sometimes ...creating my own customised backing paper.

 I combined the colour combo with this sketch from Jenni Bowlin. (see below)



I've been dying to use these photos so used two of them in place of the five in a row then one more in place of the big title space.

Instead of the top scallop strip I used a punched butterfly strip & I used the circular scallop paper instead of the rectangular one in the sketch.


I thought the large Lily Bee word/sentence rub-ons would make a good, light & unobtrusive substitute for journaling.
I found that Jenni Bowlin stash combined well with Glitz Design Love Nest here.
I used the vellum because I didn't have any cardstock quite the right shade of chartreuse & this was perfect!
I also liked how the vellum allowed the other layers to show through - see above left.


This is quite a busy page for me but I was trying this layered style on for size & really like how it turned out!
I hand-made this pennant banner using JB prints backed with the white cardstock that I saved by cutting the window out the back remember?!

I layered up the scallop at the bottom of the layout here quite a bit & strung the banner over it.
I find that changing my photos to black & white, or sepia (or a mix of both as I've done here - by adjusting the saturation levels) makes them much more flexible to work with, although I don't recommend it all the time - sometimes colour is wonderful.

Supplies:-
Bazzill cardstock - white 
Bazzill swiss-dot - yellow
Yellow vellum - stash
JBS 'Picnic Lunch' red print
JBS 'Naptime' yellow print 
JBS 'Saloon' brown print
Brown circular scalloped dotty paper - Collage Press "Rootbeer"
Butterfly punch & butcher's twine - Martha Stewart
Word/sentence rub-ons - Lily Bee "Laugh"
Dot rub-ons, transparencies x 2, "glitzers" frame stickers x 2, "Memories", striped, scalloped & "beautiful" sticker, plus "Be Yourself" & "Best Friends" sticker, big red & yellow rose die-cut and yellow teeny alphas - Glitz Design "Love Nest"
Red star (star banner stickers) , 'Vintage Style' buttons, stick pins, rhinestone button & Vintage black date numerals- Jenni Bowlin
White ruffle - My Mind's Eye Lost & Found
Yellow embroidery thread, lace & birdie badge - stash
Red scallop sticker - Crate Paper "Restoration"
Red straight border sticker - Cosmo Cricket "Circa 1934"
Yellow pearl & red bling flower- Prima
Yellow ink - Dewdrop Memento - Canteloupe

Happy weekend Creative people!






15 comments:

Heather Jacob said...

wow love it all Helen.. dont know how you fit it all in ???? you must be a very fast scrapper !!!
I fiddle a bit and take a while to choose the perfect photo...I just adore your style Helen.. beautiful..your daughter is a stunner !!
love snd hugz x

Pearl said...

what a fab mix of many wonderful brands here , my dear ! & that hand cut flag banner is too cute ! gotta try that sometime ! ;)

Jessy Christopher said...

Gorgeousness!! I am loving all the layering action on ur layout! The color is so pretty with a vintage touch :) wow, so much to see! Congrats on ur last win!!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Stunning layers Helen, this turned out beautiful and I loved seeing your process.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

WOWZER!!!!! it is busy, busy for my little eyes, as there are so many fabulous goodies here to look at, beautiful work Helen! Thanks for sharing!

FiKenward said...

These are just stunning. You've done such a fantastic job.

Unknown said...

wowser how very stunning I can look at all the time so very beautiful!! and details thank you for sharing my friend!!!
still thanks for the response! I'm gonna find out how the commercials
Have avery great week hugs carla

Ella Swan said...

Thank you girls for taking the time to visit! Heather, no, sadly I am not a fast scrapper...I have quite a good memory of the papers I have so I don't usually spend too long scratching about for those - for example, I went straight to these first as soon as I saw this combo - I did have to hunt a bit for the yellow vellum 'cos that chartreuse was hard to match, but as I have 2 paper-racks, one for prints (which I store all by manufacturer, alphabetically) & one for plains, which I store by colour, even that doesn't take long. For all my branded embellishments I store them in small zippered cool boxes actually :) again according to manufacturer, so I went straight to the one full of Jenni Bowlin & Glitz Design (my G - K bag) because I just knew that Love Nest would be the perfect line to compliment the JBS papers. I find that storing my embellies like this (I have a basket for the "no-name" brands too) works a treat for me & definitely speeds things up because everything from the same line is all together in one place & clean-up is easy as it all gets stuffed back in the bag after!!

Marilyn said...

Both are Beautiful!! but I LOVE the first one... "Just so Beautiful" is Amazing!!! Love the photos of your gorgeous girl with the butterflies behind each photo and all the details!! I'm not fast scrapper, too. Take Care my friend!
HUGS!!!

Jasmine S said...

Well well well. This is just divine. I loved your close ups showing all of the gorgeous details. You just wouldn't pick them up looking at the main pic. I too cut out the back of my papers, well I used to quite a lot but now I am a bit lazy and don't always do it.
The photos of the girls are just beautiful.
I LOVE all of this. Just fabulous.

dstandard said...

Absolutely awesome page Helen - love it!

Bente Fagerberg said...

Love your pages Helen. The first one has a very appealing dreamyness that I can't quite define and the second one is also a stunner as I said on CCG! Still love that banner...lol! It is always such a joy to look at your pages, so many details that I love to discover!
I am also a very slow scrapper,-and messy as well. A bad combination. I keep opulling out stuff and then changing my mind.....LOVED your pages for April sketches btw...

Unknown said...

It's so much more appreciated when you see all these fantastic closeups!!! WOW!! LOVE every single detail on your page! Another fantastic page for the color combo!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Wow...this is gorgeous Helen. It is amazing how much detail you add to your pages.

Bellaidea said...

Hi!I`m first time visiting your blog,I like your style, layering and choice of colors!Best regards,
http://bellaideascrapology.blogspot.com