Saturday 28 March 2009

JOURNALING JUNKIES LAYOUT

The challenge here was to use an oxymoron in my title. I chose this photo of Daisy. I had already printed it out large. I used natural cardstock as my base & cut a frame for putting around the edge with this very cute printed cardstock (KI Memories I think...) It's a nursery paper featuring little creatures & the best I can get here to mimick the new Sassafrass range of papers with all the little woodland creatures, etc. I inked around the outside & inside of the frame heavily with dark brown ink for a distressed effect.

I cut out a couple of the little creatures & mounted them onto yellow cardstock, bumping one of them up with foamcore before adhering it. I matched up various strips of cardstock & printed papers & layered them all the way down the left-hand side of the photo. I adhered MM cotton-lace onto a plain rust strip of cardstock first, then pushed the next strip slightly under this (it's the green floral one). I made this strip to look like a continuous bracket using a bracket template I made from a MM packaging card, used repetitively. I inked this in brown & mounted it onto yellow cardtock. I slid a wider strip of torn printed paper under this. Lastly I cut, inked & doodled a strip of plain rust cardstock using my scallop ruler. Once I had these all in position I adhered them from left to right so that they all slightly overlapped "on top of" each other.

I printed my title out on photo paper on the pc & used paint behind it to bring in some yellow & also to help the title stand out. I also printed the journalling on the pc & cut it out in strip form, inked around each strip in dark brown & adhered the strips, before attaching a brad to the left-hand side of each one. I rubbed a bit of yellow glitter-glue onto the top of the paint for a light shimmer. I also used glitter on the little creatures too.

I used a making memories circle sticker as a journalling spot & some of their tiny ledger alphas for the date.

Aren't these snails just the cutest?... It's amazing what you can do with a sheet of printed cardstock if it has some nice elements. I keep a bag of papers with elements I want to cut out, behind my bedside table, ready for cutting in the evenings when I am relaxing in my bedroom.

On the right-hand side of the photo I positioned the journalling strips over a bracket I made with the rust cardstock, inked & mounted on yellow. I found a matching MM flower cut-out in my stash so cut it in half & used one half above the journalling & the other half on the top left-hand side, for balance. I tore a strip of yet another co-ordinating paper which I layered above the bracket & under the journalling strips. Altogether I used 3 sheets of plain cardstock & 4 different prints, but I still have plenty left over in my offcuts container.

This layout has been on the Journaling Junkie blog for over a week now but I haven't had an opportunity to post it yet. There is a DT call going on over there at the moment so why not pop in & take a look...

BTW the yellow daisy on the layout is IN THE PHOTO & not an embellishment on top. Chelsea took this excellent photo & I saturated the flower in Picasa to make it pop. What dya think???

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Dont know if I'll be able to squash a snail again - these look so cute .....