Thursday 5 February 2009

My Little Shop of Sketches Layout







Here it is at last! My first submission to Little Shop of Sketches as part of their Design Team. You can view the complete design team layouts here and you can also take part in the layout challenge if you like. You have until the 18th of February to upload your layout into the gallery, to stand a chance of winning some lovely scrap stash, so give it a go if you can make the time.

I love these photos of me & my girls, taken by my son, Jack, who I must say is adding "great photographer" onto his already impressive resume. I kept the backing paper really mild because I wanted the photos to shine, but, instead of another patch of paper behind the photos I used a printed transparency. I think it gives the layout a lovely, light feel. It was very simple to do as I found it in Word, I just looked under "hearts". As it had some wavy, scroll designs it was easy to cut along these so that it had an unusual shape. I didn't want any tape to show through so I only stuck it down behind the opaque elements, ie;- the photos & chipboard hearts.

If you look carefully you will see that the section I cut off at the bottom, underneath the scroll, I turned vertical and used it on the left-hand side of the layout for a bit of a layered effect. I cut the brown scrolls freehand (& the bracket-shaped journalling spot) & I dimensional-glazed the scrolls. I've taken to mostly just buying white letters now & recolouring them myself with my inkpads, which is what I did with the "you hold my" letters - I used my chestnut brown cat's eye (saves on having to buy so many sticker sheets). The pale pink letters I used for "Heart" were not standing-out enough so I doodled intermittently around the edge with a brown fineliner, which did the trick!

It's hard to see in the photo, but I folded the organza polka-dot ribbon I used, repeatedly, in the top left corner. This is simple to do by just putting the double sided tape on & peeling it off then folding the tape as you like it so it sticks down in it's folded state - obviously only cutting after, & making sure you have enough before you start. The ends were popping up a bit so I simply used a little glue dot on each end to hold them down.

My chipboard embellishments come from a Heidi Swapp die-cut sheet I've had probably since LAST Valentine's day & the paper is Making Memories Falala Christmas range, double-sided (the Front is more Christmassy) but I'm gatvol(full up,lol!) of Christmas layouts now so thought I'd use it up! It's a simple layout but showcases the photos well I think ;-)

3 comments:

Jenny in Durbs said...

WOW you are one talented lady. Fab l/o super photos just wow.

Michelle Ramsay said...

Stunning layout!

Desire Fourie said...

Gorgeous interpretation of the sketch. Love the colours. Also TFS the ribbon folding technique, will have to give it a try some time. Hugs from Desire